Austin, TX

I have thick phlegm in my throat, my pcm prescribed zyrtec d and fluticasone for 10 days and it hasnt helped, when i cough just a little comes out with blood is that normal? how can i get rid of it permanently? is really uncomfortable. :?

Dr. Sue Ferranti
Coughing up blood is not normal. The bleeding could be from nose or throat irritation or lung.The first step is to see an ear nose and throat doctor. They can look into your nose/throat and upper airway to see if they see a reason for the bleeding. If so, they can also discuss treatment options. If you smoke, please quit-see your doctor for help with smoking cessation if needed! Good luck to you!
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Jul 1, 2021