Is it safe to take a moderna vaccine as a second shot if your first shot was a pfizer covid vaccine. the reason would be shipment delayed and the need to continue to vaccinate 2nd doses to people with out delaying?

4 doctors weighed in across 3 answers

Hard to know. Since this is not the way they were tested/conditionally approved for urgent use it is hard to say this would be safe or a benefit. It might be. It might also be better to wait a few weeks or even months to get the 2nd dose of the same vaccine for long term benefit. Going off the protocol is sometimes risky.

Answered 6/26/2021

0 views

Dr. Steven McCornack answered

Specializes in Anesthesiology

In theory you might have a more pronounced reaction to switching the second shot. However, there is no currently recognized issue with this approach

Answered 6/26/2021

0 views

There is lack of objective information to provide an informed opinion. It is were me, I would take the second dose from a different manufacturer than not taking the second dose. You could also take the scheduled second dose, as and when it becomes available. Wish you good health.

Answered 6/26/2021

0 views