Can ugt1a1 gene blood test tell if i have gilbert's syndrome? my liver numbers specifically total bilirubin around 1.7-1.9 and alt around 45-60 for the last year and i have no alcohol or drug use?

2 doctors weighed in across 2 answers

I'm not familiar with the gene, but genetic testing can diagnose Gilbert's syndrome. However we can usually diagnose it by the elevated indirect bilirubin and no abnormalities in the ALT or AST. I would look for other caused of your mildly elevated ALT especially if your direct bilirubin is elevated instead of the indirect bilirubin. A hepatologist or gastroenterologist can advise you best,howeve

Answered 4/30/2021

0 views

Yes , UGT1A1 genetic testing can confirm that you have Gilbert's syndrome , which is a very mild , self limited condition . The most important reason to confirm you have Gilbert's syndrome is to avoid unnecessary clinical work up to understand why your s lera is yellow and or your direct bilirubin is elevated , it will NOT explain elevated ALT . Nonalcoholoic fatty liver can cause high ALT

Answered 5/24/2021

0 views