Fairfax, VA

Do long term ppi use for chronic gerd cause dementia? i was 22 when i started ppi, and now am 29. i tried to get off ppi,s but my gerd comes back. when i was off it, i had erosive esophaguses twice. had linx surgery, but continue to have gerd. ideas?

Dr. Parin Winter
chronic use use of Ppis should not be associated with dementia. I’m concerned that you’re worried about it at your age . I imagine you’re under the care of a gastroenterologist as you’ve had significant problems with esophagitis. I’m hoping you’re following dietary guidelines & keeping the head of bed elevated. I’m sure your doctor can guide you about other procedures available for GERD.
Neurology 53 years experience
There is a difference between cognitive side effects and causing permanent dementia. There is often confusion expressed on the internet, do not stop your PPI’s, doesn’t cause Alzheimer’s
Dr. John Bodell
General Surgery 51 years experience
Dementia can have many causes, the exact etiology is unknown, You could start with any family history of dementia. Gerd is not related to dementia. Medications used to treat Gerd will not cause dementia. Seek assistance from yoour PCP to relieve your distress.

Last updated Apr 29, 2021