is it safe to drink alcohol after dental surgery (lidocaine injection into mouth to numb pain)? it's been about three hours. i'm not taking any medication. i know it's not ideal for gums, but just wanna know if i'll die or not. thank you so much?

Dr. Arnold Malerman
Orthodontics 53 years experience
Not knowing the typeof surgery that you had (hard or soft tissue) it's hard to say. In moderation, and the surgery was hard tissues (tooth) repair, you should be OK. But I would be concerned as to why you need alcohol to address a stressful situation.
Dr. Neil McLeod
Prosthodontics 49 years experience
No. Don't drink alchohol after surgery, it dilates the blood vessels and causes secondary bleeding which can lead to infection and dry sockets. Wait for three days before taking a small drink if you must!
Pathology 49 years experience
No alcohol. Alcohol is a poison that never did anybody any good, ever, so stay away from it. For healthy diet: http://www.choosemyplate.gov/., exercise 30 minutes/day, drink enough water daily so your urine is mostly colorless, have safe sex, no tobacco alcohol weed or street drugs. Get HPV and Covid vaccines. Wish you good health!
Dr. Neil McLeod
Dr. Neil McLeod commented
Prosthodontics 49 years experience
Dr Singh gave a great answer!
Apr 14, 2021