Henrico, VA

when on my period, i sit and lie down a lot. could this be a reason for getting a lot blood clots? recently i have had a few very large ones (about the size of a gold ball) pass through when i go to the bathroom. could it also be because of pcos?

Dr. John Berryman
PCOS ?'s: PCOS usually involves very irregular "periods" with long gaps between bleeding episodes. Heavy bleeding with clots are common b/c of sustained estrogen which creates a thick lining inside the uterus, and when this breaks down, prolonged bleeding with clots is common. Ask your gyn physician about low dose oral bcp's which is recommended strongly with PCOS.