U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Philadelphia, PA
A 27-year-old male asked:

Are there any advancements on the horizon (next 5-10 years maybe) that would enable treating black triangles between teeth by addressing bone/gum instead of filling the space with veneers/crowns/composite? is it conceptually possible down the road?

2 doctor answers2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Earl Sandroff
A Verified Doctoranswered
Dentistry 45 years experience
See a periodontist..: if your dark triangles are up by your gums, then you can see a periodontist about a gingivitis graft to "fill them in". I'm confident you'll get good results if you are a good candidate. I'm guessing you have gingivitis loss due to heredity, poor oral hygiene,, or a bad habit like smoking. Either way..go get a consult from a periodontist and then maybe you'll smile BIG.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Earl Sandroff
A Verified Doctor commented
A US doctor answered Learn more
Provided original answer
gingival instead of gingivitis on the above. sorry.
Nov 12, 2020
Dr. Charles Lockhart
Dentistry 11 years experience
Orthodontic evaluate: Depending on why you have dark triangles, you may wish to have an orthodontic consultation to realign the teeth if the problem is not due to bone loss.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Nov 13, 2020


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.