Cincinnati, OH

Does a head ct scan cause brain tumor in adults in lifetime?

Dr. Dariush Saghafi
Neurology 35 years experience
In fact, CT scans em: A single CT scan (of any part of the body) is HIGHLY UNLIKELY to be the cause of a tumor to start in an adult. In practice, however, I do CT scans on patients ONLY when history and examination indicate greater benefit than risk so as to keep radiation exposure to a minimum. If you're interested in discussing further using telemedicine or personal visits please call 440.842.3816. Cheers!
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Robert Mokbel
Dentistry 44 years experience
I don’t think so,
Oct 31, 2020
Dr. Robert Mokbel
Dentistry 44 years experience
Agreed , sorry about previous typo. I was planning to answer, it went on comments. But you are right.
Oct 31, 2020
Dr. Robert Mokbel
Dentistry 44 years experience
I don’t thin so: A single CT scan should not cause a brain tumor. If you already have one it would show on the scan. Unless you are getting an excessive amount of radiation from multiple many scan, the cumulative dose can be an issue. In general When a CT is recommended it is for a good reason that outweighs the risk of the radiation itself. Stay Safe and peace.
Last updated Nov 1, 2020