I broke my scaphoid bone in my right hand. i have a consult with an orthopedic surgeon tmr. generally how long is the recovery time for surgery. ?

Dr. Ryan Pflugner
Sports Medicine 15 years experience
Depends. : Scaphoid fractures come in many varieties. If you are young and active, your ortho doc may suggest getting back to activities sooner with surgery. If you don't need surgery then you can be in a cast for 6-8 weeks sometimes longer if the fracture is slow to heal.
Dr. Bruce Prager
Sports Medicine 42 years experience
Recovery time if you have surgery is 6-8 weeks.
Feb 4, 2012
Dr. Gregory Harvey
Orthopedic Surgery 38 years experience
Scaphoid fracture : Depending on the location of the fracture and the displacement of the fragments you may not require surgery. Sometimes these fractures can heal in a cast. If you do require surgery it can take a minimum of 6 weeks to heal.
Dr. Michael Raemisch
Hand Surgery 24 years experience
2-3 months: I generally keep the scaphoid protected for 2 months after a surgery. I then check cat scan in addition to x-rays to be sure that it is healed before letting patients do anything heavy or athletic.

Last updated Mar 30, 2019