ZA

I had a cortisone shot for a shoulder injury two weeks ago. in the meantime i developed acne and shingles. how long will the effects of the shot last and can i get my immune system stronger in any way?

Dr. Hunter Handsfield
Infectious Disease 54 years experience
Shingles, acne: Corticosteroid ("cortisone") injected into a joint stays in the joint and has no effect on the immune system. Your acne and shingles are not due to the shot. If you haven't seen your doctor for the shingles, don't assume the diagnosis on your own. Valacyclovir or acyclovir will clear it up faster. Good luck.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Jul 18, 2020