U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 45-year-old male asked:

I am a 45 year old male and had a psa blood test for prostate cancer screening, which was clear. i was advised to still go for a digit prostate exam. is this necessary, and which health care professional should do it, gp or urologist or other?

2 doctor answers2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Elizabeth Finley-Belgrad
Child Psychiatry 36 years experience
GP or UR ok: Individual decision take a look at this site https://www.cancer.org/latest-news/prostate-cancer-screening-faq.html referral for an exam could occur with a higher PSA level
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Le Wang
Dr. Le Wanganswered
Internal Medicine 38 years experience
Prostate cancer : Using PSA alone to screen for prostate cancer is not reliable. Current recommendation for prostate cancer screening is PSA plus digital prostate exam. Both urologist and GP can perform digital exam. However, urologist will be the one to perform biopsy if suspicious nodule is found during the exam.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Mar 5, 2020


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.