U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
San Jose, CA
A 55-year-old female asked:

What tests should i expect for a swollen parotid gland one side, my face is not symmetrical due to swelling. it has reached to my temple and cheekbone and lip numbness. i had an mri 2 years ago for different illness. ?

2 doctor answers7 doctors weighed in
Dr. Silviu Pasniciuc
Internal Medicine 27 years experience
Tests: A physical exam with focus on the above area and followed by imaging, such as CT or MRI with comparison with previous imaging. An ENT exam will also be part of the workup in trying to determine extent and actual source for the changes.
Dr. Richard Zimon
Internal Medicine 59 years experience
Strongly suggest : A "FOCUSED DOWN" x ray of the DUCT where it empties into the mouth..stones can also present with salivary gland enlargement!! Hope this is helpful! Dr Z

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated Sep 3, 2019


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.