ZA

I took off my back slab cast for a fractured wrist 3 weeks ago. i started to drive yesterday but am experiencing such pain in my entire arm up to my joints. is this normal and will go away on its own or should i stop driving for a while?

Dr. Jeffrey Wint
Hand Surgery 36 years experience
Wrist fractures: Wrist fractures Take about 6 to 8 weeks to heal on average. If you’ve only had three weeks of immobilization you may need more treatment it’s hard to tell you specifics without seeing x-rays are doing all kind of injury there is but If you’re still having pain you still need to be treated
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Richard Makowiec
Hand Surgery 28 years experience
I agree with Dr. Wint. Most wrist fractures take 6-8 weeks to heal (although some can go longer). Best to put a wrist brace on, see your orthopedist and have it re-xray'd to guide further treatment options.
Nov 7, 2018
Dr. Edward Hellman
Orthopedic Surgery 30 years experience
Followup: You would definitely want to have followup to know that your wrist fracture is healing or healed and that your progressing satisfactorily. Serial xrays and exams should be done to follow your progress. Sometimes there are components of a wrist fracture beyond just a fracture, such as a ligament injury so just make sure you keep your followup appointments.
Last updated Jan 5, 2019