Belmont, NC

I am 41 years old. i received a very small wound in early-aug on my ankle, it quickly scabbed over to begin healing. by mid-aug it was a bit red, i applied triple antibiotic. redness cleared by end of month. the scab is still there. concerned?

Dr. John Chiu
Allergy and Immunology 57 years experience
Somewhat: One should expect complete healing in 6 weeks. If the scab is still present, I recommend that you stop putting anything on it for a couple of weeks. If the scab is persistent, it may mean that there may be some complication preventing complete healing.
Dr. J. Lawrence Dohan
Dermatology 57 years experience
Throw away the antib: Triple antibiotic, also bacitracin and neosporin, are useless. Worse, they may interfere with healing and cause allergic reactions. The "scab" may be just dry skin. Wounds on the ankle are often slow to heal. Depends on nature of wound, size, depth, vascular and other health factors. A dermatologist will help you.

Last updated Oct 1, 2018