TN

i have a very sore throat and ulcers on my uvula and tonsils. my culture showed group b strep. and my doc says i don't need an antibiotic. still hurts?

Dr. David Astrachan
ENT and Head and Neck Surgery 37 years experience
Find another doctor: I would treat you with antibiotics. Even if your primary infection is viral I have found that antibiotics can help prevent bacterial superinfection.
Dr. Patrick Melder
ENT and Head and Neck Surgery 27 years experience
TOTALLY AGREE.... see another doctor and get on antibiotics.
Jan 24, 2012
Dr. Milton Mintz
A Verified Doctor commented
A US doctor answered Learn more
have another culture &sensitivity- no antibiotics for viral infection
Mar 12, 2014
Dr. Robert Knox
Tonsillitis Antibiot: If your cultures showed a bacterial infection, adding an antibiotic will prevent complications of the infection. Go see another doctor for antibiotics. While only strep throat can cause rare events like rheumatic fever and kidney infection, any bacterial infection can have "infectious" complications. Antibiotics generally prevent these complications.
Dr. LUIS IRIZARRY
Strep pharyngitis : Pen vk is the treatment of choice. Clindamycin if penicillin allergic.
Dr. Jeb Teichman
26 years of looking at sore throats has taught me that it is not possible diagnose Strep throat by examination alone. When the diagnosis is confirmed by a rapid strep test or throat culture we generally treat with an antibiotic. Understand that antibiotics will shorten the coarse of the illness and decrease spread but the main reason for treating is to avoid complications.
Mar 4, 2012
Dr. Swati Avashia
Internal Medicine and Pediatrics 23 years experience
Viral causes?: Group b strep in the throat may not be the true cause for your symptoms. It's not what causes "strep throat", that's group a strep. Perhaps your doctor thinks you have an enteroviral infection, those can cause oral ulcers.
Dr. David Miller
Dr. David Milleranswered
Group B?: If you have group b strep in your throat then you don't have strep throat and likely don't need antibiotics. Group a strep is what causes strep throat, rheumatic fever and other complications.
Dr. Robert Knox
Dr. Robert Knox commented
We must remember the suppurative complications of bacterial tonsillitis, while uncommon can occur with any bacterial infection.
Mar 4, 2012
Dr. Anthony LaBarbera
Dr. Anthony LaBarberaanswered
Correct: Group a strep is the only type that needs to be treated. Strep is actually a self limited disease, and is only treated to prevent rheumatic fever. Treating other forms of strep infection with antibiotics is unwarranted. I do not believe in the prevention of super infection. The inappropriate use of antibiotics leads to resistance.
Dr. Robert Knox
Dr. Robert Knox commented
While Group B does not cause the immunologic complications, it can cause the suppurative complications - peritonsillar / parapharyngeal / retropharyngeal abscesses. We know there a generally many bacteria present with any "viral" infection also.
Mar 4, 2012