San Francisco, CA

at 53, i have multiple fibroids.they are not growing in size but my stomach is always distended and bms are infrequent.should i get a hysterectomy?

Dr. Audrey Lance
Gynecology 14 years experience
Personal Decision: Whether or not to have a hysterectomy is a personal decision that only you can really make. It sounds like the fibroids are affecting your quality of life. What you need to decide is whether they are affecting you enough to undergo major surgery. There are risks to surgery, but those must be weighed against the benefits. Have a frank discussion with your GYN and they can help you.