Canada

last 6 urine tests have shown abnormal values for leukocyte esterase from 75-500. what could this be indicative of? there is no bacteria culture pressent and no uti symptoms. please help and thank you.

Dr. Jeffrey Hoffman
Leucocyte esterase: When positive, it denotes the presence of bacteria. All bacteria that can be found in the bladder don’t cause problems. Also, some of these bacteria could have come from your skin, swept into your urine during collection. The urine culture is the best test to evaluate for an overgrowth of bacteria in the urine......also,as women get older, it is easier for non-problematic bacteria be present