Serbia

I am physically healthy, have an athlete's heart, low bpm and low blood pressure naturally. is taking beta blockers as an off label treatment for my anxiety safe or would it be risky considering my low blood pressure and low bpm?

Dr.
Possibly risky...: Beta blockers can be very helpful in the management of anxiety, however, you would need close/careful monitoring if your blood pressure and pulse are already on the low side. It would be best to discuss with your doctor to see if this is a safe option for you.
Dr. Ramalingaier Parameswaran
Specializes in Cardiology
Not safe.: It is difficult to know what you mean by "Low blood pressure" and also "low BPM". Taking beta blockers should be considered only after evaluation by your physician and understanding of the risks. More reasonable approach might be look into non-pharmacologic alternatives for treatment of anxiety.
Dr. Jovita Anyanwu
Beta blocker: May work for anxiety. But have significant risk of further lowering your already low HR and BP. Suggest discussing with your Psychiatrist if other anti- anxiety medications like SSRI are appropriate for you

Last updated Nov 17, 2018