Barnegat Township, NJ

i had acl reconstruction and meniscus repair. pain and swelling in knee was typical. no swelling at all in foot until ten days later. is this normal?

Dr. Edward Hellman
Orthopedic Surgery 29 years experience
Yes and no: It is not terribly uncommon for patients who have knee surgery to have swelling that then begins to track down into the ankle and foot. That being said, there are also people who have knee surgery that develop a blood clot, which can potentially be life threatening. So I would let your surgeon know immediately and follow his recommendations about whether your postoperative course is appropriate.