New York, NY

Two days after i sprained my ankle, i injured the same ankle again. will my ankle no longer be able to heal completely and will i experience pain for the rest of my life?

Dr. Susan Madonna
Ankle sprain: Cannot predict how long it will take for your ankle to heal, even after a second sprain. While it is possible you may have a type of post-injury arthritis eventually, you could possibly heal completely with proper care. Rest, ice, compression, elevation: stay off your ankle. See a doctor: primary care, orthopedist, or PM&R doctor.
Dr. Scott Keith
Podiatry 44 years experience
Stability factor.: Sprains come in varying degrees of severity. All of them need some degree of treatment. The trick is to match the type and length of treatment with the severity of the sprain. An injured ankle will readily re-sprain without the proper stability. I suggest you be evaluated as to the severity and treatment options. Then and only then, will your chances of complete healing be enhanced.

Last updated Sep 5, 2017