Co2 reading of 12...how can i help raise that by what i eat or don't eat?

10 doctors weighed in across 3 answers

Need more info: I think you are referring to carbon dioxide. That is a gas normally found in animal respiration or in the decay of animal & vegetable matter. Some food products like beans usually cause the intestinal production of CO2 gas. There are several other foods that will do the same thing. Talk with your family physician & have him/her refer you to a dietician to find more causes of intestinal gas.

Answered 10/24/2017

579 views

No meaning: Without context this question has no meaning. Arterial or venous blood? Other test? If this if from a routine venous blood, then why was the test done? WHAT ARE THE OTHER NUMBERS? Kidney or liver or stomach disease? Alcohol? Aspirin? Hyperventillation [panic]? The important question is not how to change this number but what is the significance? ASK THE DR WHO SENT FOR THE TEST!!!!

Answered 8/19/2017

578 views

Don't treat a lab: Probably our correspondent is referring to total CO2, which is an approximation of the bicarbonate ion in the plasma. Reference range is 22-32 or so and when it's low like this, it suggests metabolic acidosis from some cause -- even exercising hard can do this. I trust this is not just someone who's been markedly hyperventilating. If you feel OK, I'd repeat the test to rule out a lab error.

Answered 8/25/2018

578 views