Australia

Can cirrhosis of the liver affect someone's lungs? my mother in law, has affected liver and kidneys from drinking but now her breathing is affected?

Pathology 44 years experience
Yes: In the late stages of liver failure, hepatopulmonary syndrome is to be expected. Lung vessels dilate too much to be well-oxygenated. The heart may also be failing making her short of breath, or an enlarged liver or fluid in the abdomen may be compressing the lungs from below. I'm sorry about your mom and I hope that you are a comfort to her now. Best wishes.
Pathology 44 years experience
Provided original answer
Thanks for your kind words and the follow-up. Wishing you strength and love in the days ahead.
Apr 9, 2017

Last updated Dec 12, 2019