Griffin, Georgia

started keflex 5 days ago for a tooth abcess wich had my hole lower right jaw swollen the swelling has fone but now im left with a hard bump around my tooth is that normal? i still have 5 days of antibiotics left. but the bump is hard.

Dr. Theodore Davantzis
Dentistry 40 years experience
Dental Abscess: Dental infections cannot be treated by antibiotics... they need to be treated by a dentist. The abscess is either endodontic or periodontal in nature, something neither you or antibiotics can treat. See a dentist for definitive care before your abscess returns with a vengeance.
Dr. Mark Miller
Dentistry 48 years experience
Abscess : Infections are usually related to your teeth and gums. Seek treatment by your dentist immediately.
Dr. Gary Sandler
Dentistry 54 years experience
Dental infection: Taking the antibiotics appears to have helped get the infection under some control, but obviously there remains a problem that needs further treatment. Continue taking the antibiotics until told to stop and discuss with your own dentist asap what is the cause of the infection and what are your options regarding definitive dental treatment: Root Canal Therapy, Periodontal therapy, extraction?
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Orthodontics 53 years experience
Abscess: Antibiotics do not cure abscessed (infected) teeth, only moderate the spread of infection. Cure requires root canal/crown or extraction/implant/crown. If tooth not treated, when you come off the antibiotic the infection will return. Please see your Dentist for advice before the antibiotic runs out.