U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Rockledge, Florida
A 22-year-old female asked:

The bottom of my right eye hurts.. its not swollen. i have no stye just pain.. i rubbed my finger under my eye (the bottom lid) amd thats when it started now it hurts when i blink.. i have a tooth abcess on that side and roof of mouth swelling...

3 doctor answers5 doctors weighed in
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Orthodontics 54 years experience
Abscess: Infected tooth can cause your symptoms. It's an indication that the infection is rapidly spreading. You need professional help immediately. See Dentist ASAP.
Dr. Heidi Fowler
Psychiatry 26 years experience
Please get this: evaluated Promptly - An abscess can infect adjacent structures. An abscess is serious. It is really important to have this checked out asap.
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Ophthalmology 53 years experience
Infection: Your description seems mostly likely an infection which has started in your abcessed tooth, and has spread from the apex of that tooth into the soft tissue deeper in your face. The symptoms of pain on blinking and tenderness on touching the skin atop the bone at the bottom of the eye socket are typical. You need to see your family doctor, or a dentist to get started on the proper antibiotic .
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Orthodontics 54 years experience
Know that antibiotics willow the spread of infection, but will not cure your abscess. Definitive dental treatment (root canal/crown or extraction/implant/crown) is required.
Oct 25, 2017

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated Oct 25, 2017


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.