Had routine labs recently. Potassium level was 6.2 and sodium was 148. The test were repeated 1 week later. Same results. I have no history of kidney ?

Dr. John cuong Doan
17 years experience in Family Medicine
Hyperkalemia is: a serious condition that can be life threatening given your potassium level is well above 6. I would make sure that the blood sample had not hemolyzed when you get it checked again, hopefully in the Emergency room, and make sure an EKG and kidney function tests are done. If everything normal then you may need to see a Kidney doctor or Endocrinologist to figure out why your potassium is high.
Answered on Aug 11, 2018
1

Have health concerns or questions and need access to a doctor? HealthTap has you covered.