College Point, NY

Have high cholesterol, scared to take statins due to diabetes risk in women from drug,is this a real risk,is there a safer way to lower, like sterols?

Pathology 50 years experience
Need more info: How high is your cholesterol? What other risk factors, if any, do you have? How likely are you be compliant with a rigorous dietary regimen? It would be prudent to consult your doctor and may be a nutritionist to see if diet and exercise would work for you. For good health - Have a diet rich in fresh vegetables, fruits, whole grains, milk and milk products, nuts, beans, legumes, lentils and small amounts of lean meats. Avoid saturated fats. Drink enough water daily, so that your urine is mostly colorless. Exercise at least 150 minutes/week and increase the intensity of exercise gradually. Do not use tobacco, alcohol, weed or street drugs in any form. Practice safe sex.