Chicago, IL

my 20 year old daughter has sore throat, swollen lymph nodes and uti symptoms. throat culture showed strep b. dr gave keflex- is it necessary?

Dr. Richard Zimon
It's actually: a GOOD CHOICE for an antibiotic since it will probably "cover" both infections (both gram positive and gram negative organisms) Hope this is helpful Dr Z
I'd take it: Strep B is not known as a throat pathogen but does cause an occasional UTI. I would assume the throat issue is viral (no strep A) and the Group B strep as cause of the urinary symptoms. The keflex is a reasonable choice. The throat issue and related nodes should pass in the next week or so with no particular treatment.

Last updated Apr 16, 2018