Hrvatska

Is it considered to be a normal symptom for a gastric ulcer and gallstone patient to have to sleep sitting up straight due to burning pain in stomach area if lying down. i have no acid reflux. i'm already on 40mg x 2 of ppi. this was after chocolate.

Dr. Donald Colantino
Reflux: It's true that the discomfort of reflux occurs in the esophageal area(chest) especially in the reclining position. In my experience gastric ulcers often have atypical symptoms and it could be causing your distress or perhaps reflux is being felt in the lower esophagus near the stomach junction. Chocolate can produce reflux. Since you're so symptomatic, I hope you're under the care of a gastroenter
Dr. Philip Miller
Upper endoscopy: Call your gastroenterologist. This is severe reflux and probably an ulcer. Get tested for H. pylori illness. I would also suggest an abdominal ultrasound to rule out gallbladder infection or subsequent pancreatitis.

Last updated Mar 24, 2017