How do i know if i am gluten intolerant?

3 doctors weighed in across 3 answers

Blood tests: The symptoms are quite diverse & overlap other conditions.The begining workup would include a blood test that looks for your bodies reaction to eating gluten.It is less accurate if you have been gluten free for an extended period, but as little as a slice of bread/day can trigger the immune factors involved. Your regular doc can order the screening test.Other more involved tests might be consided

Answered 11/18/2016

884 views

Blood vs skin test: You can blood tests (RAST, others) to measure sensitivity to gluten, or you can have a skin test to multiple sources of allergy

Answered 11/26/2016

884 views

Dr. Liesa Harte answered

Specializes in Family Medicine

Gluten Intolerant: One easy way to tell if you are intolerant to gluten is to completely eliminate gluten for one month and then reintroduce it. If you have symptoms when you reintroduce it, then you are intolerant. There are some labs you could have to see if you have an immune response to gluten. It really depends on why you want to see if you are "intolerant".

Answered 5/14/2014

4.1k views