Detroit, MI

I've been waking up everynight, several times with both my arms and hands in pain, numb and tingling! i sleep on my back it only subsides when i stan?

Dr. Julie Abbott
Preventive Medicine 47 years experience
Carpal tunnel: This sounds like carpal tunnel syndrome: compression of the median nerve where it passes from the forearm into the wrist.The compartment where the nerve travels is often congenitally small; then perhaps overuse/repetitive use or injury aggravates. Wearing a supportive wrist splint can help and/or oral ibuprofen/naproxen or even diuretics to reduce swelling. See PCP or Hand specialist. Stay well!
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Eric Weisman
Neurology 38 years experience
CTS vs Other: To distinguish between carpal tunnel syndrome and other conditions ( thoracic outlet syndrome ) you may need to see a neurologist ( or physiatrist ) and have an EMG- NCS performed. Nocturnal splinting for CTS might help with symptoms ( and diagnosis)
Dr. Richard Sanchez
It is fairly common: Hi LBuckley, It is fairly normal to have numbing and tingling of your upper extremities if you sleep on your back. I get them myself, especially after sleeping in the same position for over 3 hours. A lot of it has to do with mattresses and softness of them. We put a lot of pressure on our brachial plexus when sleeping on our backs, and we tend to flex arms in weird positions.
Dr. David Lipkin
Carpel tunnel: Carpel Tunnel Syndrome will often cause patients to wake up at night with numbness and tingling in the hands and wrists and often pain radiating up the forearm. Symptoms are relieved by "shaking out" the hand. Other causes are possible but less common. For more information go to> http:///bit.ly/1xTEkXx
Dr. Al Hegab
Dr. Al Hegabanswered
Allergy and Immunology 42 years experience
? Your neck or: carpal tunnel problem on both sides, better be evaluated, start by your primary doctor you may need imaging studies or other tests, or referral to a neurologist, best wishes
Last updated Mar 16, 2018