Hi, i'm a 38yr old female whom recently had a complete blood work done and all came back normal except for mchc was low- 31.5 and my rdw was high at 15.5. i'm worried and want to know what this could indicate?

2 doctors weighed in across 2 answers
Dr. Jacob Petrosky answered

Specializes in General Surgery

Your CBC results suggest that you may have anemia. There are many different types of anemia and most commonly are related to iron deficiency, or a vitamin deficiency such as B9 or B12. How is your overall health? Do you maintain a healthy diet with adequate fruits and vegetables? The increased RDW reflects cells of different sizes. The low MCHC suggests not enough iron content in the blood cells.

Answered Sep 26, 2017

1k views