i am a type 2 diabetic and my fasting sugar is consistently high (135 or 7.5) and random at the higher end. i am taking diabex (500mg) 2 times a day. is it time to increase diabex or get insulin? thanks

3 doctor answers
Dr. Donald Colantino
Diabetic control: In a known type 2 diabetic, good control guidelines are a fasting blood sugar under 120 and a hgb A1c under 7.5. If you wish to avoid insulin therapy several options are available as an add on including metformin and some of the newer oral agents. I am not familiar with the trade name Diabex. Your physician can advise you best.
Answered on Aug 9, 2016
Dr. Edgar Mendizabal
Increase metformin: First before going to a second or third oral agent. You are far from insulin
Answered on Aug 9, 2016
Dr. Sewa Legha
49 years experience Medical Oncology
Work with your Docto: Your fasting blood sugar for a diabetic is not all that high( the goal is to keep it between 100 to 130 mg) and A1c near 7. Unless your treating doctor recommends dose adjustments for your medicines, do not do it all by yourself as it requires a physician to help fine tuning your medication proportional to your Fasting blood sugar and Hemoglobin A1C
Answered on Aug 9, 2016