A male asked:

3 weeks ago i rolled my ankle, x-rays say no broken bones but although i can now walk it hurts sometimes and the swelling is still there is it normal?

Dr. Padraic Obma
Orthopedic Surgery 19 years experience
Very normal: Expect some ankle swelling after a sprained ankle for about 6 weeks after the injury. It is very encouraging you can now walk with limited pain. Make sure you are doing rehab exercises to improve your recovery at this time. If swelling and pain exist after 6 weeks see your medical provider for a recheck.
Dr. Scott Keith
Podiatry 44 years experience
Water cast..: When the soft tissue elements that support the ankle are injured as with an ankle sprain, there is a resulting instability. As the the injured ligaments heal, the stability of the ankle will return. Until it is satisfactorily healed however, the body will direct water to to injured tissues to provide needed support and stability. Expect the swelling to subside as the tissues slowly heal.