NJ

Hi! my daughter is 1 and had her ears pierced 3 months ago. this morning, she woke up and the one lobe (bottom) around the earring is swollen and red.

Dr. Amrita Dosanjh
Pediatrics and Pediatric Pulmonology 37 years experience
Mgt: These are signs of a possible infection. I would advise checking with your physician. In the meantime, apply a disinfectant and neosporin ointment to the affected area. The earring should be removed. You should watch for signs of fever or worsening.
Not uncommon: This is a sign that skin germs have invaded the area around the post.The post must be removed, probably with the help of your doc, and the local inflammation handled.In the short term you can blot the area with peroxide,which helps kill staph, but dry the area afterwards with a hair dryer.Apply some antibiotic ointment.You will loose this piercing but it can be done again later.

Last updated May 15, 2016