TX

They told my husband that he couldn't eat anything the entire day before. isn't that too long? he's having an endoscopy as well.

Dr. Sylvie Stacy
Preventive Medicine 10 years experience
Probably not: I'm not sure what procedure you're referring to, though it sounds like it may be a colonoscopy. If so, it is standard to not be able to eat solid food for the whole day prior. Typically certain clear liquids are allowed.
Dr. Jeannette Gonzalez-simon
Not too long -normal: If he is having a colonoscopy he would need take medication to help with the clean out to prepare his colon for the scope typically the day before. The doctor has to be able to maneuver the colonoscope thru the colon and inspect the entire colon clearly. If he eats there will be food and stool still present impairing his view using the scope.

Last updated Mar 15, 2016