United Kingdom

10 month ago my billirubin was 29, i did the test again after 3 month and it was back to normal 19. now my test shows it is 35. my doc said is due to gastritis and im on ppi? all blood and liver test shows normal. should i be worrid? please help.

Dr. Dean Giannone
High bilirubin.: An elevated bilirubin does not result from gastritis. I feel this needs further investigation right away. You can seek a consult with one of us here and upload your blood tests for review, or seek a local specialist. But this requires further attention.
Dr. Andrew Seibert
Gastroenterology 36 years experience
PPI and bilirubin : Although very rarely PPIs can cause elevations of liver tests, this is an extremely rare side effect for that type of medication. It is not likely that the PPI is the source of your elevated bilirubin, especially if your other liver numbers themselves are normal. You should see a gastroenterologist to sort it out. Good luck.

Last updated Jan 28, 2016