U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
San Francisco, CA
A 29-year-old female asked:

For past week have woken up with eyes crusted shut. slight redness and itching in and around eye. how do i treat? do i need to see an eye doctor?

2 doctor answers2 doctors weighed in
Dr. David Eisenberg
Ophthalmology 53 years experience
Likely conjunctiviti: Suggest 4 times daily warm compresses. If no improvement in 24 hours, see local ophthalmologist or primary care doctor for prescription. If vision changes or if there is pain or light sensitivity, see doctor locally immediately
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Michael Savetsky
Ophthalmology 16 years experience
Could be blepharitis: If your the type of person that has gotten styes or chalazions in the past, this could be what is known as blepharitis. A standard treatment for blepharitis is using a microwaveable gel mask once a day and scrubbing your eyelashes (eyes closed) with baby shampoo on a towel. Obviously nothing will be more accurate than an in person exam, so consider being seen.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Jan 31, 2016


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.