Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan
A male asked:

I have irregular bowl movement. usually once every 2-3 days. when i finally go.. it's dark and smells fowl (more than uaual). also very gasy most of the time. could there be blood in my stool?

Dr. Rebecca Gliksman
Blood in stool: It is possible. When stool is black, and pasty it is usually a sign of blood or when red. Occult/microscopic blood is harder to detect. There are tests for it. If foul smelling BM w/ gas may be food intolerance, gluten ,soy, may be gallbladder though usually have pain, or pancreas. Follow up with gastroenterology for hemoccult testing of stool and possible scoping.

Last updated Dec 20, 2015