OK

I suffer from bile reflux, i do not respond to ppi's. my gastro does not want to perform surgery as no barrett's exists, but my throat hurts daily and thats is taking 40 mg aciphex daily. should i consider nissen fundoplication? this is frustrating.

Dr. Michael Kleerekoper
Frustrating: I understand your concern and you have two choices: 1: Go back to the gastroenterologist and get more details for help. 2: Seek an opinion of a different gastroenterologist. Have your family or friends tell you who should consider for a second opinion.
Dr. M. Hytham Beck
General Surgery 43 years experience
Try something else: First as a surgeon one of the indication to surgery is the lack of response to medical management . From a personal experience try every PPI EXIST IN THE MARKET FROM PRILOSEC 40 to Nexuim to protonix (pantoprazole) to Zegrid and Prevacid the reason even though they all work the same but from personal experience they work differently on each patient try it but as a rule you are a candidate for surgery get 2 opin
Dr. Shaban Faruqui
Specializes in Gastroenterology
More risk for Barret: Bile reflux when present causes more severe esophageal disaese and probability of Barretts increases..Patients who have bile reflux also have Dudeno-Gastric reflux.Treatment for bile reflux is same as Acid reflux but less responsive to Rx. Baclofen (tightens LES) has shown to help.Procedural options include laparoscopic fundoplication and LINX as well as endo. procedures, such as Tiff & Stretta

Last updated Jul 29, 2019