MO

i hit my shin really hard today on a bench, now it is swollen and bruised and when you run your finger over it you can feel an indention, what should i do? i've been icing it to take down the swelling so far

Dr. Julie Abbott
Preventive Medicine 45 years experience
Keep doing: what you are doing. It is not uncommon for a forceful contusion to make such a "dent" as you describe. Icing and elevation are the best things to do, for up to 48 or 72 hours. Then resume normal activities avoiding anything that seems to increase the swelling or pain (i.e. running, over-exertion). The dent may remain a surprisingly long time...even months to years:( Sorry. Take care of yourself