TX
A female asked about a female:

My 3 year old daughter woke up complaining, her ear hurts. i looked at it and the top of her lobe is reddened and she has an hard bump behind her ear. there is no fever present, or any signs of a cold, and no swelling of the ear. i want to wait to take he

Likely bug bite: This is something you can safely monitor for a few days to see if it resolves on its own. A dose of diphenhydramine (Benedryl) may help with the redness and any itching involved.A cool compress can also help with the discomfort.
Dr. Amrita Dosanjh
Pediatric Pulmonology 36 years experience
I would recommend monitoring her for cough, wheezing and shortness of breath as well.
Sep 20, 2015
Dr. Amrita Dosanjh
Mgt/workup: I would suggest checking her temperature during the day and asking your daughter whether there is ear pain inside her ear, If so, there may be an ear infection. The skin findings may be inflammation or the start of an infection. The bump behind her ear could be a swollen lymph node which should decrease in size over the next few weeks.

Last updated Sep 20, 2015