Waltham, MA

Is oxybutynin the best choice for neurologic bladder and occasional bladder leakage? or detrol? or vesicare (solifenacin)?

Dr. Michael Ingber
undefined 19 years experience
It's the cheapest: oxybutynin happens to be the original (and che"anticholinergic" on the market, originally developed in the 1970's. It is effective but has side effects (dry mouth, eyes, and constipation). The newer drugs have slightly better side effect profiles. Check out the new beta agonist myrbetriq too. See a specialist in neurogenic bladder, urologists often have additional training in this area.
Dr. Betsy Greenleaf
Gynecology 23 years experience
I agree it is the cheapest but my opinion is it has increased side effects. I especially don't like this medication in the elderly because it can cross into the brain and increase the risk of confusion
Oct 6, 2015

Last updated Oct 6, 2015