U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Cowden, IL
A 48-year-old male asked:

Having trouble going to sleep.never get drowsy. feel like i have lost my ability to go to sleep.what do i need to do..

2 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
Dr. Alvaro Aranda
Pulmonology 37 years experience
See PCP: First check medications or substances thaty decreases sleep as caffeine, chocolate & derivatives alsom OTC & certain natural meds>? Good sleeping habits are important. Avoid late super, late strenuous exercises Then try melatonin 1 hr before sleep 3 to 6 mg if it does not works see PCP or sleep specialist
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Donald Colantino
Internal Medicine 63 years experience
Insomnia: If your sleeping problem lasts longer than a week without obvious cause, I feel the best approach is to attend a sleep clinic or consult a physician who specializes in sleep disorders. Hopefully dependence on sleeping pills,etc can be avoided as you will be instructed on do's and don'ts so that sleeping problems will be eliminated.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Aug 13, 2015
Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
24/7 visits - just $44!
50% off with $15/month membership


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.