U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Franklin, OH
A 64-year-old female asked:

Years ago my parathyroid glands were removed by accident. have recently had roux en y surgery and i can't manage to get down 15 calcium glucanate day?

2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Quang Nguyen
Specializes in Endocrinology
Different med: If your parathyroid is low, you should be on a pill called calcitriol. This will significantly reduce the amount of Calcium Gluconate needed to maintain normal calcium. Discuss this with your doctor or see a specialist. Good luck.
Dr. Peter Mowschenson
General Surgery 49 years experience
Problem: That can be a problem because after roux surgery your calcium absorption is lower anyway. You may need to take extra vit d. Important to speak to your bariatric surgeon and endocrinologist before you get into trouble.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated Sep 29, 2016


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.