U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 32-year-old male asked:

I have hypothyroidism & consistent high calcium (10.4-11.2) over past year. (pth normal, vitd low). should i consider parathyroid surgery (male/32)?

2 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
Dr. Jessica Allan
Internal Medicine 24 years experience
Depends: Patients with mildly symptomatic hypercalcemia; calcium less than 12 can be monitored. Avoid activities that aggravate hypercalcemia like volume depletion, prolonged bed rest or inactivity and a high calcium diet (>1000mg/day)Go back to the Doctor who did the workup and knows you and discuss all the options.
Dr. Brendan Stack jr., md, facs, face
Head and Neck Surgery 33 years experience
Parathyroid surgery: If your calcium is consistently elevated and your PTH is high normal, you likely have an adenoma that would benefit from surgery. Your next step is expert localization done under the direction of your potential surgeon.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated Sep 13, 2021


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.