United Kingdom

i have hurt my ankle and i am not sure if i have sprained it or not. i can walk on it aslong as i keep it straight and don't bend it as i get pain. my mum is telling me to take some pain killers and go to school but do i need to do anymore and see my gp?

Dr. Celia Remy
Aesthetic Medicine 24 years experience
Splint!: It is vey important that you do not re-injure the ankle for 6 weeks. To protect you from "rolling" it again, we usually put you in a splint that can be worn in your shoe. The more you are upright, the more swollen you will be later in the day. It will increase your pain a bit. You should get your splint, and then take NSAIDS Before you go to school, and after to keep swelling down. Also ICE it.
Dr. Scott Keith
Podiatry 44 years experience
Sprained or not.: At 16 years old, your ability to heal this injury is better than it will ever be. Whether it is sprained or not, if it hurts when you bend it, something is damaged and will need appropriate time and rest to heal properly. The biggest concern is weather or not the ankle has a fracture. You will need an x-ray to determine that. Start with a cam walker, afterwards go to a smaller in-shoe type brace.