United Kingdom

I have sprained my ankle and i cant walk normally on it without pain but i have to walk around school tomorrow should i use crutches? p.s. had an x-ray on thursday and no fracture and doctors said it was sprained?

Dr. Sue Ferranti
May help....: If you are unable to put weight on your foot/ankle without causing pain, the use of crutches would help to prevent further injury and allow it to heal. You should get an x-ray to make sure there is no fracture. Stay off it as much as possible, elevate it, apply ice for 20 minutes every few hours when you are not in school. See your doctor if it is not getting better over the next couple of days.
Dr. Stanley Tao
Orthopedic Surgery 26 years experience
Yes: If xrays are negative then using crutches will help with pain by taking weight off ankle. Using an orthotic like a walking boot or brace will also help pain. And ice, elevation and rest will help.

Last updated Dec 2, 2020