Houma, LA

I stepped on a medium sized staple that punctured the heel of my right foot. it's not very big and it stopped bleeding. do i need tetanus shot?

Dr. Umesh Patel
Preventive Medicine 42 years experience
Wound care: Skin wounds allow infection which delays healing. Clean wounds immediately with clean water to remove visible debris. Minor cuts can be dressed with or without antibiotic cream, moderate wounds need to have the edges brought together for better healing with sterile adhesive-strips or stitches. In all cases consider a Tetanus booster shot and see a doctor if any spreading redness or fever.
Dr. Scott Keith
Podiatry 44 years experience
Staple from stable?: If the staple is new and just fell out of the box, then relax and take it easy. On the other hand, if there is a chance that the staple may have been contaminated with the tetanus causing bacteria, best to get a booster. The recommended booster will help to remove all doubt.

Last updated Apr 29, 2019