New York, NY

I am having a repair of a mini face lift and the dr is not using an anesthesiologist , . he will use valium and percocet along with a numbing powder.

Dr. Orrin Ailloni-Charas
Anesthesiology 29 years experience
If it is a minor : Soft tissue repair, you should be fine. Once the stinging from the local has passed, you should be comfortable. If the procedure is more complicated, i would recommend requesting the inclusion of an anesthesiologist. It will allow for greater safety and comfort.
Dr. Daniel Careaga
Plastic Surgery 18 years experience
Facelift revision: Every once in awhile a plastic surgeon will need to revise a facelift for whatever reason. The type of anesthesia depends on the extent of the surgery, patient's overall health and should be made after a discussion between the patient and the surgeon.
Dr. Tanveer Janjua
Facial Plastic Surgery 30 years experience
Limited facelift: If a minor correction is needed to a minifacelift it can be done in the office without using general anesthesia. There are the usual nip and tucks (witch hazel) done after plastic surgery. However, if you are concerned and want full anesthesia you should discuss that with your surgeon.
Dr. Otto Placik
Surgery - Plastics 34 years experience
It may be fine: It depends on the extent of the facelift. If truly a mini facelift, then iris possible that local anesthesia will be adequate if you can tolerate the injections. Discuss your pain tolerance, expectations, and other concerns with your surgeon. If you remain concerned, arrangements for general anesthesia can likely be made.
Dr. Thomas Fiala
Plastic Surgery 33 years experience
Red flag: Personally, i only do my facelift surgeries in a aaaasf certified operating room with an md anesthesiologist monitoring the patient's vital signs and airway. I feel it is safer.
Dr. Anthony Perkins
Plastic Surgery 15 years experience
Really depends.: Performing a revision can usually be performed exclusively using local anesthesia (no valium/percocet). I personally don't perform any type of sedation (valium) unless performed in an operating room with an anesthesiologist.
Dr. Ralph Rosato
Plastic Surgery 36 years experience
Beware: Conscious sedation means you are awake and can answer questions. You will feel the needle sticks to administer the local anesthesia and you may feel some discomfort or pain with the surgery. If you are not that awake then you run the risk of not breathing without the benefit of having a anesthesia person to aid you. This can be very dangerous. I would pay for anesthesia!
Dr. Suzanne Galli
ENT and Head and Neck Surgery 24 years experience
Minifacelift: There is less dissection and less operative time in a minifacelift. In the right patient, this procedure can be performed safely under local anesthesia. Your surgeon can review your medical history to determine if you are a candidate.
Dr. David Abramson
Anesthesiology 38 years experience
Your surgeon is using powerful drugs, the combination of which can depress your breathing. At the very least, there should be a separate person monitoring your vital signs (notably, breathing), while the procedure is performed. Also, make sure your doctor has resuscitative equipment available to treat respiratory depression (at the least, oxygen and a self-inflating bag and mask)
Nov 12, 2014

Last updated Nov 28, 2017