Rensselaer, NY
A 46-year-old female asked:

My toddler swallowed a cherry pit. should i be worried ? i read that the pit could be toxic? very worried .

1 doctor answer4 doctors weighed in
Dr. Melissa Gowans
Pediatrics 17 years experience
Fruit seeds: If you accidentally eat a cherry pit in a pie or swallow an apple seed or two, you'll be fine. If you eat enough apple seeds or cherry pits, you could die. Cherry pits, and seeds from related fruits, including peaches, plums, almonds, pears, and apricots, contain cyanogenic glycosides. Your body can detoxify small quantities of cyanide compounds. Keep pits away from toddlers as they can also choke
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.

Related questions

A 29-year-old female asked:
I am 30 weeks pregnant and I swallowed a cherry pit. Is it harmful for the baby?
2 doctor answers5 doctors weighed in
A 21-year-old female asked:
Is face wash toxic if small amount swallowed?
1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Last updated Jan 29, 2021


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.